Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Is an Author Now!

by Mary Sutton / @mary_sutton73


Today was an important milestone in my writing career.

I got my first rejection letter. I think I'm going to throw a party.

You might wonder at that reaction. A party? Really? For a rejection?

Yes, a party. I mean, I did submit to Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. I was aiming high. Yes, the form letter rejection was addressed to "Author" so I know they probably have to send a billion of these per issue. It's not like they crafted this loving, supportive personal letter to me.

But I'm going to celebrate. Why? Because this was the first time I ever did something like this. I'm pretty sure editors at Ellery Queen read my submission. My name is out there. Lots of people write something. Few ever bother to send it out. Fewer still are successful.

And this is not final. I have more stuff. And I will keep sending it out and looking for places to submit.

Publishing is not a sprint. It's a marathon.

And I'm just getting warmed up.

(PS: If you know of a great place to submit short fiction - meaning short stories or novelettes, anything under 15,000 words - let me know in the Comments.)

No comments:

Post a Comment